If you have followed us on Twitter, you probably received a message welcoming you to our ‘Quest To Change The World’. I was just mulling over this mission of ours the other day when I came across this most appropriate video on YouTube. It is the 2014 commencement speech at The University of Texas by Navy SEAL, Admiral McRaven. He takes 10 lessons he learnt during his arduous SEAL training and presents them as lessons to any of us who feel we really do want to Change The World.
It’s a 19 minute video and I have to admit that I sat with a lump in my throat for the the full 19 minutes. If you can carve out the time to watch it I bet you will also feel that it is the best 19 minutes you have spent in a long time! I know that I am now inspired to do more (no matter how much we think we’ve done, we can always do more) and not just to get back up, but to get up quicker, each time I am knocked down. I hope you will be inspired too.
“Anyone can do it”, he says. He puts it to the class that if each one in the class would change or influence the lives of just 10 people and those people went on to do the same then in 5 generations that class would have influenced the lives of 800,000,000 people. We had a lady come to our first event in 2016 all the way from the Czech Republic. Pavla Hlavičková was totally inspired and she wrote to us last year. I’ll let her tell it in her own words:
“It has been almost 4 years since I heard about Low Carb/ketogenic WOE [way of eating] for the first time. I was fascinated and changed my diet right away with incredible results. I have started to study more to understand better. I am from Prague, Czech Republic and here there is only a few information about Low Carb. But I wanted to share my story and my results with other people and motivate them to think more about their diet. That is why I became Nutrition specialist in 2016. In summer 2016 I have noticed there was going to be a Low Carb conference in San Diego. Even San Diego is 10,000 miles from Prague I knew this was a MUST SEE/HEAR event for me. The conference was such a inspiration for me that I have started my Low Carb blog in September 2016. In January 2017 I have founded a Czech FB Low Carb group with only few members. I am very proud that I can say we are expecting to reach 10,000 members this Sunday! 1 member for 1 mile from Prague to San Diego 2 years ago. Thank you Pam Devine and Doug Reynolds for being such a inspiration for me!”
She wrote this in August, 2017 and will be close to 20,000 members by the time we see her again here in July, 2018. We hear stories like this every day and this, too, inspires us to keep going and do more. I made a note below of the 10 things you need to do if you want to Change The World with us, but please try to find the time to watch the video.
- If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed
- If you want to change the world, find someone to help you paddle
- If you want to change the world, measure a person by the size of their heart, not the size of their flippers
- If you want to change the world, get over being a sugar cookie (a term for being cold and wet and covered in sand) and keep moving forward
- If you want to change the world, don’t be afraid of the circuses (2 hour physical exercise punishment sessions that end up making you stronger)
- If you want to change the world, sometimes you have to take on the obstacles head first
- If you want to change the world, don’t back down from the sharks
- If you want to change the world, you must be at your VERY best in the darkest moments
- If you want to change the world, start singing when you are up to your neck in mud
- If you want to change the world, don’t ever, EVER ring the bell.
….oh, and respect EVERYONE!
Get to one of our events and become a part of our community as we strive to change the way the world eats.
[Doug Reynolds: Founder – LowCarbUSA®]